Monday, October 3, 2011

Various Ramblings

Looks like another long year for the Broncos.  They're now 1-3, with the Chargers up next week before their bye week.   Most likely looking at a 1-4 record, with big changes implemented in the bye week.  At least there is some hope that this coaching staff has a clue, as opposed to the Josh McDaniels debacle of the last 2 years.   Both McDaniels and Shanahan deserve the blame for the talent deficit the Broncos currently have - absolutely horrendous drafts over their tenure as head coaches.

Anyways, on to the wargaming!

I've been working away on the squad scale game for FoBWW2.  At this scale, each infantry unit is a squad, vehicles are a unit, weapons and their crews are a unit.   Nice and simple, and "pure".  I'm adding a bit more differentiation of unit types in the ratings, as well as the obvious needs like ground scale changes.  I'm planning on a 1"= 25 yard ground scale, with ranges reduced from theoretical maximums to account for real world sighting and engagement realities.  I'd like to give the game  a go at our next game in October.

Field of Battle 2nd edition is now out and available for sale, as is Din of Battle 2nd edition.  Filling customer orders has taken a substantial amount of my time, but I think I'm pretty much caught up now.  Blunders on the Danube, a FoB scenario book by Peter Anderson, has been delayed due to file problems, but that should be coming out soon as well.

Terrain projects - as can be seen in game photos in past blogs, I've gone to yet another terrain system.  This time, its squares!   I use 1/8" thick vinyl tile, and double them up for the base squares.   Hill sections are modular, and are comprised of 4 levels of tile for a 1/2" thick individual hill contour.   I think they look good, and very much like a contour map.   With this system, I can do pretty much any terrain I want, and it stays very functional and durable.  I'm in the process of finishing up another 25 or so hill section components.  It there is interest, I'll do some "how to do it" posts on the system.

I've also been playing with a painting technique that keeps my general style intact, but greatly speeds the process.  In general, I prime with black, block paint, hit it with an ink/Future mixture that defines the folds in the casting.  Highlight one or two layers, dullcote and BAM!  Done!   I used to average about 45 minutes a figure for a complex paint job (Napoleonics).  Now that's about 30 minutes.

I'll post photos of the painted figure effect in a subsequent post.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brent

    Your efforts re FOB2 much appreciated and I would love to hear about how you make the hills etc

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brent, I'd love to join for WW2 squad action when there is a slot open - and calendars align! I do have Americans and Germans, but not properly based for your game. I could collect Russians specifically for the rules if it helps (just tell me how to base them)...

    ReplyDelete